About Breast Implants
This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What are breast implants?
A breast implant is a prosthesis that is used to change the shape, size and contour of a breast. Breast implants can be used to restore a natural look to the breast mound for post-mastectomy patients or to correct birth defects of the chest wall. They are also used to enhance the appearance of breasts through breast implant surgery.Types of breast implants
Breast implants can be used for two purposes:
- Silicone implants: These are available as a liquid, gel, or solid form similar to plastic.
- Saline implants: These have an elastomeric silicone shell filled with sterile saline solution.
- Reconstructive: to reconstruct the breast mound after a mastectomy or to correct birth defects.
- Cosmetic: To enhance the shape and size of the breasts.
Breast implant surgery
- How much the breast implants cost will depend on the location, doctor, and type of implant used
- Breast implant surgery is done to enhance the shape or size of the breasts and usually carried out under general anesthetic. It usually takes between one to two hours. Before the surgery, you will discuss with your surgeon the location of the scars.
- Before your procedure, you will have a medical evaluation done by your doctor. You can discuss what you want and your expectations and get feedback from your doctor. You may be asked to stop taking certain medications a few days or weeks before your surgery.
- A cut/incision will be made under your breasts, arms, or around your nipples, depending on the type of implant, your body, and how much enlargement is being done. After the incision, the implant is positioned between your chest muscle and breast tissue, or behind your chest muscle. After the implant is in place, the surgeon will close the incision with sutures or surgical tape. The incision is then covered with a dressing.
- You will be able to go home the same day you have the operation, or you may need to stay in the hospital overnight. You will need to take things easy at first. You can gradually return to most of your normal activities within a period of four to six weeks.
- Your breasts may look unnatural at first, but this is normal and is usually temporary. Your breasts will start to look and feel better within a few months.
- Breast implants generally have a life expectancy of 10 to 15 years. After this, they may need to be replaced.
Risks : Having breast implants may lead to some complications. Some of these complications are associated with the implants themselves while others are risks associated with surgery. They include:
-Impeded breastfeeding function
-Thinning of the breast tissue
-The shrinkage of scar tissue around the implant
-The implant may become creased or folded
-Temporary or permanently altered nipple sensation
-In some cases, further, surgery may be needed to treat problems that develop.
Implant rupture or leak: If saline implants rupture, they deflate and the saline is safely absorbed by the body. If silicone implants leak they may stay inside or leak outside the shell causing no obvious symptoms.
Learn more about Breast Implants