Bumrungrad Hospital - Overview
Bumrungrad Hospital is one of the best known hospitals for medical tourists. Located in Bangkok, Thailand, Bumrungrad Hospital is a multi-specialty center that caters for international and local patients alike. The hospital is the largest private hospital throughout South East Asia. Over 200 doctors working at Bumrungrad hospital were trained in the US.
Bumrungrad Hospital was the first hospital in Thailand and first in the Asia-Pacific region to be accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) and is also accredited by the Thai hospital accreditation program carried out by the Institute of Hospital Quality Improvement & Accreditation.
Of the 1.1 million patients Bumrungrad serves every year, 520,000 are of foreign nationality from more than 190 countries. This makes Bumrungrad the most International Hospital in the world!
The hospital has a dedicated International Medical Coordination office to arrange scheduling, plan follow-up care, organize airport transfers and answer questions. Staff and doctors at the hospital speak English and Thai, and there are representatives that speak Arabic, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Korean, and Bengali. There are interpreters on hand to translate to other languages.
Bumrungrad’s Centers of Excellence
Bumrungrad Hospital is world renowned for 8 Centers of Excellence:
Cardiac Surgery, Cardiology & Arrhythmia
The Bumrungrad Heart Center employs comprehensive, holistic approaches to heart health ranging from prevention and early detection to diagnosis, treatment, heart surgery and rehabilitation. We see over 3,000 cardiac cases a month, of which approximately 1,000 are non-invasive procedures such as echocardiograms. On top of this, we perform over 100 endovascular procedures monthly.
The Arrhythmia Center staffed by experienced cardiologists who specialize in irregular heartbeats and electrophysiology. Led by Dr. Koonlawee Nademanee, a pioneer in the field of cardiac arrhythmias and electrophysiology, the team treats patients from Thailand and all around the world. They employ a variety of treatments, including medicine, implanted pacing or defibrillator devices, electrophysiology studies and catheter ablation. Bumrungrad’s new electrophysiology lab was based on one of the most advanced and successful facilities in America.
The Horizon Cancer Center provides comprehensive cancer care and treatment by a multidisciplinary team of cancer specialists, including prevention, diagnosis, treatment, assessment of treatment plan and management of possible complications, emotional support, nutritional care, pain management, and close monitoring of possible recurrence.
The Neuroscience Center is a recognized center of excellence in neurology. We provide a complete array of diagnostic, therapeutic, surgical and rehabilitation services for comprehensive treatment and management of neurological disorders.
Over 25 neurologists and neurosurgeons specialize in everything from memory disorders to brain surgery. These doctors have studied in top Thai and international institutions, in countries such as United States, England, Canada, and Australia. In addition, Bumrungrad has a large staff of rehabilitation doctors and therapists to help patients regain functionality during recovery.
The Neuroscience Center has two main branches:
- Neurology (including Stroke) - The neurology and memory clinic deal with investigation and medicine-based treatment of neurological conditions.
- Neurosurgery - Neurosurgery deals with surgical treatments of neurological and spine conditions.
The Women's Center provides a comfortable and private atmosphere for physician consultation and evaluation. The Center brings together over 40 physicians offering a complete range of diagnostic, therapeutic, treatment and surgical specialties to meet the special needs of women.
- Prenatal care
- Postpartum care
- Fetal assessment
- High risk obstetrics
- Pre-natal genetics
Gastroenterology & General Surgery
The Digestive Disease Center brings together nearly 20 specialists in the following areas:
- Gastroenterology: A medical specialty that focuses on the digestive system (esophagus, stomach, small intestines and colon). Includes pediatric gastroenterology.
- Hepatology: A medical specialty that focuses on the liver and associated organs (gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, and biliary tree).
- Diagnostic Endoscopy: Investigative examinations that look inside the body through an endoscope (a long, flexible tube usually with a camera on the end) to find out what the source of a problem might be)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy: Going inside the body with an endoscope to treat a problem.
In addition to our multidisciplinary team to treat all abnormalities of the gastrointestinal tract, Bumrungrad's Digestive Disease Center has 2 specialty clinics:
- IBD clinic: IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) is a condition of chronic of inflammation of the mucosal lining of the intestine or bowel. IBD can be ulcerative colitis (UC) or Crohn's disease (CD). We offer a full range of service from diagnosis to treatment programs, and also the follow-up care.
- Colorectal Surgery Clinic: We specialize in the treatment and diagnosis of colorectal diseases in order to repair damage of the colon, rectum, and anus.
The Orthopedic Center offers a complete range of diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical orthopedic services. The Center's orthopedic specialists bring training and experience from Thailand, the USA and Europe and offer patients a broad array of orthopedic interventions.
- The Joint Replacement Center offers joint replacement surgery that is performed by a team of physicians and medical specialists with modern medical tools and technologies. We emphasize treatment that meets international standards, from patient registration to following up on results post-procedure. This is to guarantee that we meet our most important goal: ensuring that our patients are pain-free, able to return to their normal lives, and fully enjoy their lives again.
- Cooperation of the Dorr Arthritis Institute, USA - Bumrungrad International Hospital has agreed to cooperate academically with Dr. Lawrence D. Dorr, an expert of joint replacement surgery and the developer of robotic arm assisted surgery, who founded the Dorr Arthritis Institute in the United States of America. This allows us to exchange knowledge regarding joint replacement surgery so we can continue to develop better methods for treatment for our patients into the future.
- The Spine Institute at Bumrungrad is one of Thailand’s best known medical centers of excellence. Its leaders help train specialists from around the world in the latest surgical and non-surgical treatments for back and neck pain. The Institute’s conservative approach uses pain intervention and physical therapy when possible, less-invasive endoscopic surgery when necessary. Thousands of patients experience less pain and faster recovery as a result.
The Eye Center provides care and treatment services for diseases and conditions associated to the eyes, from general problems to treatment that requires the expertise of specialists. We have a team of ophthalmologists from every field related to the eyes as well as modern tools and equipment for diagnosis and treatment.
The Eye Center of Bumrungrad International is made up of experts in various fields that cover all problems related to the eyes, including
- Ophthalmic plastic and reconstruction surgery
- Retinal disorders
- Pediatric ophthalmology & strabismus
- Refractive surgery
Patients can stay in a residence room or serviced apartment on the hospital site (there are 125, and the choice ranges between a two-bed room to a Royal Suite), or stay in a hotel close to the hospital. Residence rooms and apartments include cable TV, DVD players, hotpots, glasses and dishware, mini bar, kitchen, air-conditioning and telephone. The hospital site provides shops and restaurants as well as a pharmacy and other services.
Departments and specialty centers at Bumrungrad Hospital
- Transportation services
- Private nurse available
- Visa arrangements
- Insurance coordination
- Family members can stay with patient
- Halal food
- Private Rooms
- Recovery facilities
- Phone in rooms
- Internet connection
- Doctors have liability insurance
- Hospital has liability insurance
- Number of doctors: 1070
- Number of beds: 550
- Year established: 1980
The data provided in this page was provided by Bumrungrad Hospital
or it's represetatives.
last updated on Apr 14, 2017.
Please read our disclaimer
If you have found any errors or missing data, please