About Buttock Implants
This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What are Buttock Implants?
Buttock implants are a specific form of buttock augmentation. During surgery, artificial buttock implants are inserted in order to improve the look and shape of the bottom. Buttock implants, or butt implants, are popular with women and men who want a shapelier, fuller bottom. Many people who have lost weight choose buttock implants to add volume to their behind, although extra skin from weight loss may also need to be removed. Buttock implants can improve self-confidence and result in an enhanced appearance.
What are the types of Buttock Implants?
The most common buttock implant procedures are as follows:
What should you discuss before the procedure?
- Silicone implants: The cosmetic surgeon makes an incision where the buttock cheek meets the thigh or inside the crease of the buttock, where scars will not show. The surgeon forms a pocket and inserts the silicone buttock implants under or on top of the gluteus maximus muscle. Where the implants are positioned depends on the outcome the patient wants.
- Fat grafting: In this procedure, fat is taken from areas of the body such as the thighs and stomach, and injected into the buttocks.
- Tissue flap: The surgeon can also increase the volume of the buttocks by making a tissue flap from buttock skin and inserting it as an implant.
Examine the different options open to you in terms of your desired end result. Discuss with your consultant the buttock shape and size you prefer and how your appearance will be changed.
Duration of procedure/surgery : Buttock implant surgery is likely to take between two and three hours. The duration of the procedure depends on where the implants are placed, the patient’s body and the surgical technique.
Days admitted : None. You probably won’t need to stay overnight after buttock implant surgery.
Anesthesia : Buttock implants are usually inserted under a general anesthesia. Some buttock implant surgeries take place under a local anesthesia with a sedative.
Recovery : - The swelling in the buttocks and general discomfort should disappear within 2 days.
- One week after buttock implants, you will be walking normally and able to sit down as usual.
- Swelling will continue to reduce over 1 to 2 weeks.
- Doctors recommend 2 weeks off work to recover but you will be able to resume sedate activities within a few days of the buttock implant surgery.
- You will be able to resume full levels of activity and exercise after one month to six weeks.
Risks : It is rare to experience serious complications after a buttock implant procedure but some risks do remain.
- Buttock implants may shift position after surgery and result in an asymmetrical shape. To reduce this risk, buttock implants are set above the seat area to minimize the chance of sitting on the implants and moving them.
- Buttock implants can, on rare occasions, rupture or break.
- One of the most popular methods of buttock implant surgery, cutting an incision down the buttock crease, carries a high risk of infection.
- Excessive bleeding.
- Negative reaction to anesthesia.
- Sometimes another buttock implant procedure is needed to achieve the desired results.
After care : - Take prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication after the surgery.
- Pain in the first 48 hours following a buttock implant procedure is to be expected. Take pain medication to reduce the discomfort.
- Wear a supportive compression bandage for a few days to ensure the buttock implants heal correctly.
- Get plenty of rest after buttock implant surgery and drink lots of water. Make sure you eat healthily in order to speed the healing process.
Learn more about Buttock Implants