About Buttock Augmentation
This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is Buttock Augmentation?
Buttock augmentation, also referred to as Gluteoplasty or a Buttock/ Butt lift, is a surgical procedure to remove unwanted fat or loose skin from the buttocks and reshape the buttocks. Buttock augmentation surgery can also involve implants and liposuction. The surgeon makes incisions in places which can be hidden by the skin’s natural creases, removes excess fat, trims unwanted skin and pulls the skin back together. Buttock augmentation is popular with women and men who have lost a great deal of weight and consequently volume in the buttocks, as well as those who want to improve the shape of their buttocks.
What are the types of Buttock Augmentation?
Buttock augmentation is usually carried out with one of the following methods or combination of methods:
How long will Buttock Augmentation last?
- Buttock implants: The surgeon inserts a silicone implant under or above the muscle in the buttock, through a small incision. Buttock implants are a good choice for people who don’t have enough excess fat in the rest of their bodies to transfer to the buttocks for augmentation. However, buttock implants are a more painful method of buttock augmentation.
- Fat injections: Excess fat is removed by liposuction from donor sites in the body such as the thighs or midsection. The fat is then injected into the buttock where necessary. Recovery from this type of buttock augmentation procedure is much quicker but further surgery may be needed to achieve the desired effect.
- Butt Lift: Buttock augmentation can occur within a body contouring surgery to achieve a lift in the buttocks.
- Liposuction: Liposuction on the buttocks can be combined with these other procedures to give a shapelier buttock area.
Buttock augmentation can last for over 10 years but additional augmentation procedures may become necessary if the patient gains weight or stops exercise.
How popular is this type of surgery?
Buttock augmentation or buttock lift has increased in popularity in recent years. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) reports buttock augmentation procedures rose by 37 percent between 2008 and 2009. Over 2,000 Americans had buttock augmentation surgery in 2009 and 6,000 people had buttock lifts.
Duration of procedure/surgery : Buttock augmentation surgery normally lasts between 2 and 4 hours.
Days admitted : None. Buttock augmentation is performed on an outpatient basis and doesn’t require an overnight stay.
Anesthesia : Buttock augmentation procedures are carried out under general anesthesia at a hospital or outpatient clinic.
Recovery : - After a buttock augmentation procedure you’ll experience swelling, bruising and tightness in the buttocks for the first 2 days.
- Swelling and bruising should fully disappear after 1 month.
- If you had buttock implants, you will need 4 to 6 weeks before full recovery occurs and normal levels of activity can be resumed.
- Recovery from fat injection buttock augmentation is faster and you can resume gentle activity after 2 days, with a return to full activity in 2 weeks.
Risks : Buttock augmentation surgery is a relatively straightforward procedure and risks are minimal, although, as with any surgery, complications can arise.
- Bleeding or infection.
- Nerve or muscle damage, or scarring.
- With fat injection, multiple procedures may be needed as the body re-absorbs a certain amount of fat. Buttock implants produce fewer risks of fat re-absorption.
- Buttock implants can shift, resulting in an asymmetrical appearance.
After care : - Take painkilling medication to manage discomfort from swelling and bruising.
- Wear a compression bandage over the buttocks for the first two days to prevent further swelling.
- Refrain from sitting down following the buttock augmentation surgery until the incisions have bonded.
- Remain mobile after the first two days following a buttock lift or augmentation in order to promote healing and effective circulation.
Learn more about Buttock Augmentation