About Acne Scars Removal
This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What techniques are available for acne scars removal?
There are many acne scars treatments that produce results, depending on the type of acne scar and the extent of the scarring. Treatments are often combined for the best results.
Who is a suitable candidate for acne scars removal?
- Laser skin resurfacing: A laser is used to remove layers of skin so that new skin can reform below it.
- CO2 laser skin resurfacing
- Fractional laser skin resurfacing
- Chemical peel
- Steroid injections: Steroids are injected using a fine needle into the acne scar, which helps stop skin inflammation and reduce the size of the scar.
- Surgical removal: The doctor cuts the scar from the skin, allowing blood to clot beneath and produce connective tissue to smooth the surface of the skin. Techniques include punch elevation and punch excision for deep scars, and subcutaneous incision for rolling scars.
- Cryosurgery: Liquid nitrogen is applied to the skin to freeze the scar, which causes the tissue to die and new, non-scarred skin to grow in its place.
- Topical scar treatments: Over-the-counter and prescription gels, creams, liquids and lotions are available as acne scar treatments.
- Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers like fat and collagen are injected into the acne scar to produce a raised skin surface and a smoother look to the skin.
The patient needs to be free of active acne for at least three months before acne scar treatments can take place.
Duration of procedure/surgery : The duration of acne scars treatments is from a few minutes to more than an hour, depending on the technique used.
Number of sessions required : Several sessions are often needed, depending on the technique being used.
Days admitted : None. Acne scars removal treatments take place on an outpatient basis.
Anesthesia : Several acne scars treatments, including laser skin resurfacing, use local anesthesia.
Recovery : The recovery period for acne scars treatments depends on the procedure used and varies from immediate recovery from steroid injections to two or three months for a deep chemical peel.
Risks : - Darkening or lightening of the skin.
- Skin sensitivity.
After care : - You may need to wear a bandage over the treated area following the procedure.
- Treat any pain and swelling with painkilling medication.
- Keep treated skin out of the sun following acne scar treatments.
Learn more about Acne Scar Removal