This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
Prosthodontics is the procedural treatment of patients who may have few or no teeth. These patients could even have oral and maxillofacial tissues. Veneers, dental implants, crowns, dentures and whitening of teeth are best esthetics and oral health procedures for patients. The prosthodontist must apply certain procedures, diagnosis, treatment planning, maintenance and rehabilitation to enhance the health and physical appearance of the patients.Types of procedures
- Restoration of damaged teeth: During development of the teeth, damage could occur. Additionally, trauma, teeth grinding and exposure to acid through the diet could harm. Fillings, veneers, and crowns are offered by the specialist to cater to the patient’s needs. The condition could call for treatment that could be mild intervention or comprehensive treatment.
- Missing teeth replacemen: A prosthodontist could replace teeth with the use of removable partial dentures, implants, fixed bridges or even a combination of various procedures, depending on the condition and preference of the patient.
- Oral implant: Oral implants are scientific advances that have made a vast improvement in dentistry. The Canadian prosthodontics have been involved in putting these advancements to good use through thorough research over the past thirty years. This research was to influence the effectiveness of the dental implants and make life better for many patients in need of them.
- Bridge: These are used to fill gaps whereby there was a missing tooth. The teeth on either side of the gap are prepared for a crown, and dental prostheses would then be added to the crowns and finally cemented to the teeth. The bridge cannot be removed, and special care is needed to keep it clean.
- Crowns/ Cap: Crowns or caps are used to cover teeth and hence rectify a problem such as darkening of the teeth or cavity. They are made of various materials such as metal alloys such as gold or even ceramics.
- Dental implant: These are implants that are currently made of titanium and could be tapered, and could stand the chance of having or not having threads. They are then inserted into the jawbone and left to heal, and hence integrated into the bone. They are excellent for replacing either one or several teeth.
- Dentures: When working to bring back the full function of a mouth that may be lacking several teeth, the dentures are used. The complete dentures are used on patients who may be lacking all their teeth. On the other hand, the patient could have a problem adjusting to temporary removable dentures. Therefore, implants are inserted to bind the dentures to the gums making them easier to familiarize with and hence to use as well.
- Veneer: Veneers are thin shells made of etched porcelain that are bound to the teeth enamel. Color and shape of teeth are modified with the use of veneers. On the other hand, the teeth must be well prepared to ensure that the teeth are not over bulked but is instead restricted to the enamel and few surfaces of the tooth.