About General Dentistry
This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
Who is a general dentist?
This is a surgeon who specializes in dentistry, a subspecialty of medicine that involves the study, diagnosis, prevention, treatment and management of diseases, conditions and disorders of the oral cavity. This involves the dentition, oral mucosa and associated tissues and structures especially in the jaw and facial (maxillofacial) area. Although a general dentist usually deals with issues affecting the teeth, they also deal with issues affecting the craniofacial complex.What does general dentistry involve?
This is the branch of dentistry that provides a wide array of dental services that are vital to health. These include preventative services, restorative service, cosmetic services and overall health.
What training do general dentists have?
- Preventive services: This help to maintain proper oral health so as to prevent disease. They include regular dental exams such as diagnostic x rays and professional teeth cleanings. It also includes recommendations from your general dentist on how to improve oral hygiene at home.
- Restorative services: If a problem is diagnosed the general dentist ensures a timely and appropriate treatment is given. The most common dental restoration involves removing tooth decay and filling in the affected tooth. General dentists restore affected teeth such as loosened, broken or knocked out teeth. They can diagnose and treat tooth pain and gum disease. General dentists also offer treatments such as placing crowns, bridgework and replacing missing teeth. Some general dentists offer advanced treatments such as orthodontics, root canal therapy, and dental implants.
- Cosmetic services: General dentistry offers services that help achieve a sparkling smile and white teeth. This includes services such as porcelain veneers.
- Overall oral health services: Some oral diseases reflect the issues in your overall body. Untreated oral infections result in increased incidence of heart disease, poorer control of diabetes and complications during pregnancy. General dentistry provides the dentist with the expertise to identify oral issues and offer the appropriate treatment or referrals when required.
In addition to completing their undergraduate education, general dentists complete four years of dental school.How often should I see the dentist?
It is recommended to visit the dentist every six months for preventative services.When to see a dentist
Apart from the regular visits to your general dentist the following are signs that you need to visits the dentist:
General dentistry procedures
- You have pain or swelling in the face, mouth or neck
- Your gums are puffy and bleed when you brush your teeth
- You try to hide your smile due to yellow teeth or a missing tooth
- If it is time for your check up
- If you experience difficulty chewing or swallowing
- You experience jaw pain especially when opening or closing the mouth
- Your mouth has sores and spots
Dental needs vary and your general dentist will discuss with you any concerns that you may have. He/she may then perform tests such as an oral exam or x rays to diagnose diseases in the moral cavity. Dental procedures vary from simple preventative services such as teeth cleaning to full mouth restoration.
Cleaning and preventative procedures include:
- Dental exams and cleanings
- Fluoride treatments
- Home care
- Cosmetic dentistry procedures include:
- Composite fillings
- Porcelain crowns
- Porcelain veneers
- Porcelain fixed bridges
- Teeth whitening
Learn more about General Dentistry