This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is a Face Lift (Rhytidectomy)?
A facelift is a cosmetic surgery procedure used to give your face a more youthful appearance.
A facelift usually involves the removal of excess facial skin, with or without the tightening of underlying tissues, and the redraping of the skin on the patient's face and neck.
You may have a full face lift, a brow lift (lifting of the part around your brows), or a neck lift (lifting the lower part and neck area).
Will there be a scar?
The incisions are done in front of and behind the ears, and are usually inconspicuous. However there is a risk of bad healing which causes the scars to be red and more visible.
Duration of procedure/surgery : 2 - 6 hours
Days admitted : 1 - 2 days
Anesthesia : General anaesthesia. partial lift may be done under local anaesthesia .
Recovery : - Temporary bruises and swelling
- Temporary feeling of tension
- Temporary sensitivity or loss of sensation in the skin
- If you have non-dissolvable stiches - they will be removed after a week or so.
- Return to work: after 14-20 days
- Severe physical exercise: after 2 weeks
- Healing of bruises: after 2-3 weeks
Risks : - Damage in the facial nerves
- Asymmetry in the brows
- Bleeding under your skin (haematoma)
- Hair loss around your scars
After care : - Applying a cold compress (such as ice wrapped in a towel) can help to reduce the swelling and bruising.
- Protection from the sun is required for 4-6 months after surgery.
Learn more about Facelift