About Dental Examination
This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
During a dental examination, the dentist will clean your teeth and check for gum disease and cavities. The hygienist or dentist will as well assess your risk of getting other oral health issues, and also examine your mouth, face, and neck for abnormalities. A dental examination may also consist of dental X-rays or other diagnostic procedures.Why it is performed
Frequent dental examinations help protect your oral health and general health. A dental examination gives your dentist an opportunity to offer tips on looking after your teeth and to identify any issues early when they are most treatable.
Even if you do not have natural teeth, it is vital that you consult your dentist for frequent dental examinations to maintain your oral health and the usefulness of your replacement teeth.During a dental examination, the hygienist or dentist will:
- Assess your oral hygiene and overall health
- Assess your risk of root decay, tooth decay, and bone or gum disease
- Assess your need for tooth replacement or tooth restoration
- Examine your jaw and bite for problems
- Remove any deposits or stains on your teeth
- Demonstrate good cleaning tips for your dentures and teeth
- Evaluate your need for fluoride
- Take dental X-rays or, if needed, perform other diagnostic procedures
During a dental examination, your hygienist or dentist will as well inquire about any health issues you have or medications you are taking and address how they may affect your oral health. If you have diabetes, for instance, you are at greater risk of gum disease. Any medication, which contributes to dry mouth, may multiply your risk of tooth decay. If arthritis interferes with your ability to brush your teeth, your hygienist or dentist may help you know how to insert toothbrush's handle into a rubber ball for simpler use, or advice using an electric or powered toothbrush.
If you have prosthetic replacements, like bridges or dentures, your hygienist or dentist will check how well they fit and talk about the need for adjustments.
Dental examinations may also consist of counseling regarding the use of tobacco products, diet and other lifestyle factors, which may affect oral health.Dental X-ray
A dental X-ray lets the dentist see in depth images of your mouth.
- This kind of X-ray lets the dentist see the whole tooth and the surrounding bone.
- This kind of X-ray lets the dentist see the way the lower teeth and lower upper teeth fit jointly when the jaw is closed.
- This kind of X-ray provides the dentist an extensive view of the whole mouth.
- Cone beam computerized tomography. This kind of X-ray offers a 3-D view in order that the dentist may better evaluate the spacing of teeth and adjoining structures.
- This kind of X-ray lets the dentist see the crowns of the lower and upper teeth. During a bitewing X-ray, you will bite down on the X-ray film holder while the X-ray pictures are being captured.
Discuss with your dentist if you are worried about radiation exposure.Oral cancer examination
During your dental examination, your hygienist or dentist will look for oral cancer signs of oral. He or she will examine the floor and roof of your mouth and the inside of your tongue, the sides of your neck; feel the area under the jaw, and the insides of your cheeks and lips.Results
After your dental examination, the hygienist or dentist will discuss your oral health, which includes your risk to gum disease, tooth decay, and any other oral health issues, and cautionary steps you can take to protect and improve your oral health.
The dentist will as well recommend the ideal time to return for a follow-up visit. If you are at high risk of tooth gum disease or tooth decay or have other oral health issues, the hygienist or dentist may recommend regular examinations.
Learn more about Dental Examination