This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is Laser Stapedotomy?
Laser stapedotomy (Stapedectomy) is a surgical procedure to repair conductive loss of hearing caused by otosclerosis. In otosclerosis, the stapes bone becomes rigid and therefore cannot vibrate due to a bone overgrowth surrounding the footplate. This causes gradual hearing loss. Laser stapedotomy helps in the treatment of otosclerosis by bypassing the rigid stapes with a prosthetic piston. Using carbon dioxide lasers during laser stapedotomy enables the creation of tiny and accurately placed holes, without causing temperature increase inside the ear.
How is Laser Stapedotomy performed?
How to prepare for Laser Stapedotomy?
- Using a laser, a hole that is smaller than 0.8mm is created in the footplate.
- Prosthesis is placed by bypassing the rigid stapes.
- A tissue graft seal of the fenestra may also be used to improve this procedure.
- Laser stapedotomy is performed on only one ear at a time. If it is required to be performed on another ear, it can be done one year later.
Duration of procedure/surgery:
- Certain medications that increase the risk of bleeding should be avoided for two weeks before laser stapedotomy. This includes herbal and homeopathic medication.
- The patient can take little amounts of water for four hours before the surgery.
Approximately 45 minutes
Laser stapedotomy is usually performed as an outpatient procedure. Occasionally patients may need to stay overnight.
- The patient can recover within a few days or weeks after laser stapedotomy.
- A follow-up visit should be scheduled about a week or 10 days after the surgery.
- Several post-operative check-ups are performed over four to six weeks after laser stapedotomy.
- Loss of hearing
- Vertigo or dizziness
- Perforation of the eardrum
- Injury to the facial nerve causing facial paralysis
- Laser fire
- The ear should be kept dry for two to three weeks after laser stapedotomy.
- The patient may take a bath after 24 hours, without letting water inside the ear.
- The patient should avoid any strenuous physical activity after the surgery.
- Blowing the nose should also be avoided.
- Pain medication, antibiotics, and ear drops should be taken according to the doctors directions.
- The patient should avoid straining with bowel movements.
Learn more about Laser Stapedotomy