This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
Laser teeth whitening is a procedure to correct discoloration of the teeth by removing yellow and brown stains from the surface. It is also known as professional teeth whitening or in-office teeth whitening and is performed by a dentist in his/her clinical setup.
Laser teeth whitening is considered to be the fastest way of achieving whiter teeth and it results in teeth that are almost 10 shades lighter than the original. It is an effective treatment to remove any kind of stain from the tooth’s surface. It is a convenient and time-saving method although the results obtained are similar to those from an at-home treatment.
How is the whitening performed?
The laser teeth whitening procedure uses peroxide bleaching gel and a laser system to maximize tooth whitening.
How many sessions are required for Laser Teeth Whitening?
- The teeth requiring the treatment are first isolated.
- The dentist makes use of retractors for keeping the lips and cheeks away from the bleaching gel.
- A protective coating is placed over the gum tissue as the bleaching gel acts as an irritant to the soft tissue.
- The bleaching gel is then applied over the teeth and exposed to the laser beam.
- The bleaching gel penetrates the tooth surface releasing oxygen which results in tooth whitening.
The number of sessions required for laser teeth whitening depends on the extent of the stains on the teeth. In most cases, the desired level of teeth whitening is achieved in just one sitting, while other cases with severe staining may need further sittings.
How long does the entire procedure take?
The procedure for laser teeth whitening is usually completed within 1-2 hours. The length of time is dependent on the degree of discoloration.
How long will the effects last?
The long term effect of laser teeth whitening varies from person to person. Certain habits such as smoking or tobacco use, and drinking tea, coffee and cold drinks may discolor the tooth surface very quickly. If regular care is provided, the tooth whitening can last for as long as 1-2 years or more.
What type of dentist performs Laser Teeth Whitening?
Laser teeth whitening is a typical cosmetic and aesthetic dentistry procedure and is performed by a cosmetic dentist. However, it could also be performed by a general dentist who has the required skills.
- Sore lips and cheeks
- Injury to gum tissue caused by irritation from bleaching gel
- Increased dentinal sensitivity
- Increased risk of tongue cancer
Learn more about Laser Teeth Whitening