This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a procedure to remove unwanted hair on the face, legs, bikini line, back and underarms. Laser hair removal uses beams of concentrated light which target hairs and leave the area of surrounding skin undamaged.
How to prepare for laser hair removal?
You should refrain from waxing and plucking the hairs you are having removed for six weeks before laser hair removal, and avoid sun exposure.
How is Laser Hair Removal carried out?
How long will Laser Hair Removal last?
- The technician trims the hair.
- A cooling gel is placed on the area to be treated.
- The technician uses pulses of light from a laser on the treatment area.
- The light is absorbed by pigment in the hair follicles.
- The pigment is destroyed and the hair is prevented from growing back.
Laser hair removal is sometimes permanent but often the procedure only reduces the amount of hair within the treatment area or lightens the color of the hair.
Duration of procedure/surgery:
The duration of the laser hair removal sessions depends on the size of the area you are having treated. The procedure usually takes between 15 minutes and 1 hour in total.
Number of sessions required:
Most people require multiple sessions to achieve the best results.
Optimum treatment is often 3 to 4 hair removal sessions, 6 and 8 weeks apart.
None. Laser hair removal is an outpatient procedure.
Anesthesia is not needed for the laser hair removal procedure.
A cooling gel is usually used to reduce the pain.
You will be able to return to your normal routine immediately following laser hair removal, but the skin will look red and "sunburned" for a few days.
- Skin redness.
- Change in skin color to darker or lighter shade.
- Apply cold compresses and moisturizer if needed after the procedure.
- Wear sunscreen for a month to help prevent changes in skin color.
Learn more about Laser Hair Removal