This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
, or Male Breast Reduction
surgery, is carried out to restore the male breast to its normal shape and size. Gynecomastia is the medical term for abnormally enlarged breasts in men and it describes the growth of excess breast tissue. Gynecomastia may occur in puberty and disappear on its own or the condition can persist, resulting in the decision for surgery.
What are the types of Gynecomastia Surgery?
There are two Gynecomastia Surgery procedures. Surgeons typically carry out one procedure or a combination of both:
Duration of procedure/surgery:
- Liposuction: Gynecomastia is often treated by a liposuction procedure to remove unwanted fat from the male breast. Liposuction is not effective for the correction of glandular gynecomastia.
- Excision: Gynecomastia surgery is carried out through the removal of glandular tissue and skin. This procedure can also reposition the nipple.
Gynecomastia surgery takes around 1 to 3 hours.
None. Gynecomastia surgery takes place on an outpatient basis and the patient is discharged without an overnight stay.
Local or general anesthesia, depending on the procedure and the choice of the surgeon.
- After gynecomastia surgery the patient wears a compression garment for around 4 weeks.
- Patients can return to work after one to two days and bruising will fade after 7 to 10 days.
- Normal levels of activity including exercise can be taken up after 6 weeks.
- Final results of the gynecomastia surgery are usually seen after one year.
Gynecomastia surgery is a low risk procedure but some complications can arise.
- Breast asymmetry and uneven shape of the chest.
- Changes in sensation in the breast.
- Visible scarring.
- Need for a second procedure.
- Take pain killing medication to ease pain and discomfort for the first few days following surgery.
- Keep wearing the compression vest for the specified time to help the skin on the chest to heal.
Learn more about Gynecomastia Surgery