This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is ZIFT?
Zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT) is a fertility procedure to treat male and female infertility. ZIFT combines IVF with GIFT. The procedure involves fertilizing the woman’s eggs in a laboratory and transferring them to the fallopian tubes.
How is ZIFT carried out?
The ZIFT procedure has similarities with GIFT.
Who is a suitable candidate for ZIFT?
- The woman takes fertility drugs to stimulate the ovaries in order to produce multiple eggs.
- When the eggs are mature, the doctor uses ultrasound to locate them and removes them with a needle.
- The eggs are combined with the partner’s sperm in a laboratory.
- When the eggs are fertilized, the doctor inserts between one and four fertilized eggs into the fallopian tubes by laparoscopy.
ZIFT may be suitable for couples where the man has a low sperm count or the woman has ovulatory problems.
ZIFT is not suitable for women with blocked or damaged fallopian tubes, or a damaged uterus.
What are the chances of success with ZIFT?
According to Baby Center, couples have an average 26% chance of having a baby with each cycle of ZIFT.
Duration of procedure/surgery : One cycle of ZIFT typically takes around 4 to 6 weeks to complete.
The egg retrieval procedure takes around 30 minutes, as does the egg insertion procedure.
Days admitted : None – you can go home the same day.
Anesthesia : ZIFT egg retrieval and egg insertion may be carried out under general or local anesthesia.
Recovery : Recovery time is minimal for the egg collection procedure in ZIFT.
Laparoscopy for egg recovery has a recovery time of around 2 days.
Risks : - Increased risk of multiple pregnancies.
- Infection from surgical procedures.
- Ectopic pregnancy.
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.
After care : - Ease cramps following egg collection and discomfort after laparoscopy with pain killing medication.
- You may need to change fertility drugs if you experience side effects.
Learn more about ZIFT