This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is Hymenoplasty?
or Hymen Reconstruction Surgery
is a procedure to artificially restore the hymen. The aim of a hymenoplasty procedure is to reinstate bleeding during sexual intercourse, in particular for the woman who is getting married for the first time. Hymenoplasty is culturally sensitive and linked to a belief in certain cultures that the hymen is proof of virginity.
How is Hymenoplasty typically carried out?
The surgeon draws together the perforated hymen and stitches it to leave a small opening in the vagina. The hymenoplasty is designed to recreate the look of the “virgin” vagina which will bleed on penetration.
What surgeon performs Hymenoplasty?
Hymen reconstruction is carried out by a cosmetic surgeon.
Duration of procedure/surgery:
The hymen reconstruction procedure takes up to an hour to complete.
None. Hymenoplasty is performed on an outpatient basis.
The hymen reconstruction procedure is usually carried out under local anesthesia.
- The patient will be able to go back to work the day following the hymenoplasty surgery.
- Full recovery will not take place for 6 to 8 weeks.
The hymenoplasty surgery is a simple procedure but it does carry some risks.
- Loss of sensitivity in the area.
- Refrain from sexual activity until the hymenoplasty is fully healed – up to 6 months but usually between 6 to 8 weeks.
- Refrain from taking part in vigorous exercise for up to 12 weeks.
- Take painkillers after the hymenoplasty surgery to ease discomfort and swelling.
Learn more about Hymenoplasty