This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
Methods for treating Erectile Dysfunction:
There are many methods for treating erectile dysfunction. The type of treatment may be determined by the doctor upon reviewing the patient's condition.
- The patient should quit smoking. It is can be very challenging to quit smoking. To do this the patient must prepare to quit one to three weeks in advance, by reducing the amount of smoking, avoiding smoking locations and preparing to tackle stressful situations without smoking. The patient may also consider getting help by taking part in smoke quitting programs.
- Exercising is capable of improving health in various ways. It not only treats erectile dysfunction, but also helps in a myriad other ways to enhance the functioning of the heart and other parts of the body. A minimum of 20 to 30 minutes should be spent exercising everyday or at least five days a week. Patients may choose exercises that they enjoy. If medical assistance is needed, then the doctor may recommend a physical therapy program.
- It is important to reduce stress levels. Stress can cause various illnesses. Therefore patients should know how to relax from time to time. Thoughts should be examined and moderated. Problematic situations can be tacked by sharing it with friends and family. Professional assistance can help patients to manage severe stress. It is important that patients maintain a positive attitude and live a healthy lifestyle.
Medication may be taken orally or injected into the penis to treat erectile dysfunction. Alternatively drugs can be inserted through the urethra.
- Oral medications that are in use are sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil hydrochloride (Levitra) and tadalafil (Cialis). Other oral medicines are undergoing tests for safety and efficacy. Patients are advised to refer to their doctor before taking any medication.
- Injections may be used to create an erection. These drugs enlarge the blood vessels. Some of these drugs may include papaverine hydrochloride, phentolamine, and alprostadil. Various side effects may be caused due to the use of these injections. Ointments that are muscle relaxant may also be used directly to enhance erection. The doctor's advice should be taken regarding the usage of injective medication.
Psychotherapy will help patients learn the techniques that reduce anxiety related to intercourse. The partner of the patient needs to be involved in helping the patient with these techniques.
Vacuum devices help to create an erection. This is done by producing a partial vacuum by which blood is drawn inside the corpora cavernosa. This causes the expansion of the penis. The vacuum device machines consist of the following components:
- A plastic cylinder:
The penis is placed inside this cylinder.
- A pump:
This is used to create the vacuum inside the cylinder by drawing out air.
- Elastic ring:
The elastic ring helps in maintaining the erection, which is placed at the base of the penis after the cylinder is taken off. It stops blood from running back into the body, and should be taken off after 30 minutes to restore blood circulation and prevent any skin soreness.
Vacuum devices may have some side effects and adjustment and practice is required to achieve better functionality.
Surgery may be performed to implant prostheses that can help to create erection in patients with erectile dysfunction treatment. It may also be done to rebuild arteries so that blood flow is increased to the penis. Surgery is also performed to repair and block veins that cause blood leakage from the penile tissues.
Risks of prosthetic implants are mechanical breakdown of the implanted device and infection. Surgery to repair arteries is mostly ineffective among older patients who have extensive blockage.
Learn more about Erectile Dysfunction