This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is Chin Augmentation Surgery?
, also known as chin implants
, is surgery to reshape the chin in order to balance the face and strengthen the chin line. Chin augmentation surgery is often carried out to enlarge the chin to the same proportions as the nose. Chin implants are often completed together with a nose job (Rhinoplasty).
What are the types of Chin Augmentation Surgery?
Chin augmentation surgery is carried out using implants or by repositioning bones:
How long will Chin Augmentation Surgery last?
- Chin implants: A chin implant is inserted through an incision inside the mouth or beneath the chin into a pocket under the muscle. Chin implants are generally constructed from ePTFE and silicone and come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the patient’s facial features.
- Bone repositioning: A less common chin augmentation procedure involves moving bone in the jaw. The surgeon cuts through the jaw bone, moves it to the correct position and fastens it in place.
Chin augmentation surgery is permanent unless the chin implants shift. In the case of shifting, another procedure will be needed to fix the implants in the correct position.
Duration of procedure/surgery:
Chin augmentation surgery takes between 1 and 2 hours to carry out.
Patients may need to stay overnight in the hospital where the chin augmentation procedure took place.
Chin augmentation surgery is completed under local anesthesia.
If the chin implants are combined with another facial surgery procedure, general anesthesia is used.
- Stitches are removed after 1 week.
- Chin implants may appear too large immediately after surgery but after 1 week the swelling will have lessened and the end result will be more apparent.
- You should be able to go back to work after 7 to 10 days.
- Most swelling will disappear after 6 weeks.
- After this you will be able to see the final results of the chin augmentation procedure.
Chin augmentation surgery is low risk but complications can arise from the procedure.
- Bruising and swelling.
- Tooth damage.
- Chin implants shift and require a follow-up procedure.
- Asymmetric outcome.
- After the chin augmentation procedure you may feel discomfort and swelling. Take pain medication in the initial few days of recovery.
- It may be more comfortable to follow a diet of soft foods for the first few days following chin augmentation surgery.
- Take prescribed antibiotics to minimize risk of infection.
- Avoid touching or moving the operated area.
- You may wear a support brace while sleeping to keep the chin implants in place.
Learn more about Chin Augmentation Surgery